Sunday, July 19, 2015

Obedience.

Have you ever asked someone to do something important and they don't do it? For example, you ask your friends to R.S.V.P. for your party by a certain date, but they drag their feet and do it late. Now, you can't get the cheaper group rate that you wanted. Or, has your parents asked you to do something at a specific time, but you do it whenever you feel like it. Now, you're on punishment because you couldn't follow simple instructions (that was me a lot growing up).

Lately, I've been really frustrated with people because they don't do as I ask; I mean very important things. I was more frustrated with the fact that my plans had to change because of the lack of response. It felt like I was this invisible person & no one could hear me. One night, I began to dwell on my frustrations and I immediately thought about how God feels when He constantly tells us to do something and we never do it. Instantly, I was convicted and thought, "Am I making God frustrated because of my lack of response to His instructions?" I had to pray & ask God for forgiveness at that moment.

"If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15)

This scripture often rests on my heart. How can I say I love God if I always disobey Him? How can I say I love God & I treat my neighbor like trash? How can I love God, but when He tells me to end that toxic relationship, I hold on to it as if He never said a word.

"And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" (Luke 6:46)

Loving and respecting God goes hand in hand with obeying God. Our obedience to His word proves our love for Him. If we truly love Him the way we proclaim to, then we would do what He tells us. Some of the things God instructs us to do are major, but a lot of times they are simple instructions. Simple instructions to help us become a better version of ourselves. Just like a parent, God wants the absolute best for your life. He wants you to experience everything that He has for you, but the only way you're going to experience it is if you live a life of obedience.

Now trust me, obedience to God isn't always easy, but I believe that it is worth it. God rewards us for our obedience, but most importantly, He is glorified when we obey Him! As Christians, we are to live our lives so that Christ is seen & glorified above all else (read Matthew 5:16)! It's all about Him shining & being glorified! 

So check this: in Acts 5:12-42, Peter and the disciples faced opposition for their obedience to God. They were ridiculed and hated, but they were determined to do exactly what God instructed them to do. They were thrown in jail & beat, but they STILL obeyed God! Because of their obedience, God always provided a way of escape for them & they continued to preach the Gospel! 

If the disciples decided to give up, like we do when the going gets tough, many people would not have known about God & His great love for us! Your obedience to God is not just for you! There is someone out there whose life is depending on you to be obedient to God. The things that He has told you to do will help win souls for His kingdom & set people free!


So, what are some things that God has been tugging at your heart about? I mean things He's told you recently, and even things He's told you years ago! Is it surrendering your all to Him? Is it that book He wants you to write? Is it spending less time on social media? Is it ministering to that unsaved friend? Whatever it is, God hasn't forgotten & He still wants you to do it! Don't be afraid, but show your love for Him by doing what He says. God doesn't want part of you, but He wants all of you! Will you walk in obedience?


No comments:

Post a Comment