Friday, June 3, 2016

Memorizing Scripture | My Journey + Tips!

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." (Psalm 119:11)



   Hey everyone! Back in May, I felt the Lord pressing upon my heart to memorize His word. I would read His word daily during quiet time & use the S.O.A.P. method (Scripture, observations, application & prayer), but I needed more

   So, I decided to memorize a verse a day. I realized that two days later I had a hard time remembering that verse. I then decided to focus on a verse for two days & then move on to a new one. I started out strong, but I had my days where I didn't memorize anything. I've picked back up though & really desire to stay consistent through June & for the rest of the year. 

I'm striving to be more disciplined in my walk with Christ. 

   I've realized that as believers, some of us don't really know what we believe in. We have the basics down, but do we know the rest? Do we know what God thinks of profanity/cursing (Ephesians 4:29, James 3:9-12)? Do we know who are considered to be children of God (Romans 8:14-19)?  

"...and if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it." (1 Peter 3:15)

   I know some might say "But it's so boring" or "I don't understand it". Those excuses are no longer valid. Use a NLT or NIV Bible that will help you understand it more. Find creative ways to help you read/study the Word on Pinterest. Use your resources & definitely ask God to help you find joy in reading His word! It may be tough at first, but if you keep reading it, you'll find yourself in love with God's word. I'm learning that daily!

   As promised, here are a few ways that can help you with scripture memorization:

1) Write it on your hand 


I found this way on Instagram from one of my favorites, Ayanna @ayannazariya (follow her!). This way works best for me! I've had a lot of people look at me like I was crazy lol, but it really works. I write the first letter of each word along with the book, chapter & verse. I find this one most effective for me because I'm constantly using my hands.

2) Write it down

Along with writing it on my hand, I'll write the verse down on my dry erase board in my room. If you don't have a dry erase board, write it on a piece of paper & post it on a wall in your room. If you're constantly reading & seeing it, you will most likely remember it.

3) Read, Speak & Write It
I found this technique on Pinterest! Read the verse(s) 10 times, speak it 10 times & then write it 2 times. 

4) Use a Scripture Memorization App
I started using an app once & it worked for a bit. If you are a phone junkie, this is for you. I have an Android, so I used Bible Memory: Scripture Typer, which is available in the App Store iPhone users. It's free also, but you can purchase the premium version if you'd like.

5) Use Note/Index cards
Index cards are very light & easy to carry around. You could use the hand technique above or write out the full scripture & read it whenever you have free time. Index cards are inexpensive also! You can get them 2/$1 at Dollar General or for $1 at Walmart!

I hope that you all find these helpful! I believe that God desires for us to know more about His word & what it says concerning us, even as teens & young adults. If you have any other tips, feel free to share them with us in the comments! 

Grace & Peace,

 



No comments:

Post a Comment